COVID-19 Safe Pickleball Play During 2020/2021
COVID-19 best practices need to be embraced. All pickleball players have a responsibility to limit their own circle of contact and follow social distancing and safe hygiene and cleaning practices. The Silveridge Pickleball Club (Club) is committed to providing the safest activity possible for both physical and mental health. These are extremely challenging times for all of us but it is our collective belief that pickleball can be as safe as any other outdoor activity if common sense safety measures are followed. One of those measures is using Sign Up Genius (SUG) to reserve court time, which will limit the number of players congregating at the courts and if necessary facilitating accurate contact tracing.
DO NOT PLAY IF YOU:
- Are exhibiting any symptoms of the coronavirus as identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Have been in contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Are a vulnerable individual with serious underlying health conditions as identified by the CDC.
IF YOU DECIDE TO PLAY:
- You must reserve court time for all sessions except round robin play and Club All Play using SUG, which can be accessed by clicking here. This requirement applies to members and non-members of the Club.
- At this time, outside groups cannot play pickleball at Silveridge per Park rule.
- Court Reservation on SUG:
- Only one individual need reserve a court. This individual becomes the “reserving member”.
- The reserving member must maintain a record (first and last name) of their other players.
- A reserving member can book a court on behalf of 2 to 6 players maximum.
- The reserving member cannot book 2 courts during the same play time.
- The reserving members and members of the group cannot make a back-to-back reservations (i.e. for 2 consecutive time slots) unless a court is still unreserved 1 hour prior to play. This allows all members a chance to book a court and play.
- Time slots will be displayed on SUG up to 14 days in advance. Subject to change at any time.
- The reserving member shall be responsible for their group and ensure the Silveridge Pickleball Club COVID-19 Safe Pickleball Plan is adhered on their court.
- Only the reserving member will be able to cancel the reservation or make changes.
- If your circumstances change and you won’t be able to utilize your reservation, please promptly cancel your time slot in order to free up the space for others!
- Book privileges may be temporarily suspended for repeated 'no-shows' or misuse of rules.
- The Club strongly recommends you establish a small group (2-10) of players, i.e. a “trusted circle”, who you believe are adhering to responsible social distancing and virus protection practices on and off the court. Then, whenever you play, that you always partner with someone from your trusted circle. You may play against opponents outside your trusted circle if you wish. However, the Club recommends that you don’t partner with persons outside your trusted circle.
- Wash your hands with soap and water and bring personal use hand sanitizer to the courts.
- Use hand sanitizer to clean and wipe down your pickleballs, paddles and water bottles. Do not share paddles or any other equipment or clothing.
- Bring a personal use water bottle(s) and avoid touching or using public water fountains.
- Bring tissues or a handkerchief for contained sneezing and coughing or consider wearing a mask.
- Consider wearing disposable gloves to the courts and avoid touching court gates, fences, benches, etc.
- Consider wearing disposable gloves during play to avoid picking up pickleballs with your hands.
- Mark your pickleballs with your initials.
- Do not arrive early before your allotted court time. 10 minutes or less prior is appropriate.
DURING PLAY SESSIONS:
- Adhere to social gathering and distancing policies according to the CDC and local authorities.
- Do not behave critically of others if their comfort level differs from yours. Every person’s health and safety concerns are different and should be respected.
- Consider bringing your lawn chair to sit on and safely social distance from others. Gathering inside the gazebo at the pickleball courts should only occur if you remain 6 feet apart.
- Maintain a distance of 6 feet from other players whenever possible.
- Try to minimize or avoid touching court gates, benches, fences, etc.
- Take your water bottle and anything you need for your playing session on to the court area with you.
- Enter the gate closest to your court to eliminate crowding of players coming and going.
- Consider playing ‘skinny singles’ versus doubles. It may even provide better exercise and skill development.
- If you elect to play doubles, consider playing with only those who reside within your household or trusted circle.
- Each player should use their own pickleball to serve. Try not to touch pickleballs belonging to someone else. Use your paddle to transfer the pickleball under the net to your opponent.
- The Club will not be providing pickleballs as long as COVID-19 is still an ongoing health risk. You have to bring your own pickleball to the court. (Note: Two pickleballs will be provided to all members when they pay their annual dues. Additional pickleballs will be available for purchase – 2 for $5).
- Do not participate in paddle taps at the end of the game. Use your paddle to wave at your opponents at the end of the game while practicing safe distancing.
- No waiting or socializing in the areas between the courts unless you are transitioning to the next court to play.
- Consider using hand sanitizer for your hands and pickleball between games.
- Adhere to CDC guidelines by not touching your face (after handling a pickleball or paddle) while playing.
- Maintain proper social distancing from other players in between games and while not playing.
- No uninvited players may ask to join a reserved group in progress.
- No players without a court reservation should be at the courts.
- Waiting Players: players, part of the court booking, wait off the courts and use social distancing guidelines.
- Transitions: players must vacate the courts prior to the end of their court reservation so the courts will be completely clear for the next group.
WHEN PLAY HAS ENDED:
- It is mandatory for each player to maintain a record of when they played and who (first and last name) they partnered with, in case contact tracing is required.
- Leave the court area as soon as reasonably possible.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer immediately when you finish playing.
- Thoroughly wash your pickleball equipment and other items you have used or touched.
- Inform the Club by sending an email to email@example.com if you test positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of playing pickleball at the Silveridge RV Park pickleball courts.
Not in a trusted circle yet? email your name and skill level to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will assist you in establishing your own trusted circle.