A Summer Message from the Club President
July 31, 2021
In approximately 92 days it will be November 1st, which is when the population of Silveridge starts to swell again. On one hand that seems far off. On the other hand, another winter in the sun will arrive before we know it. Far too many of our members weren’t able to get to Arizona last winter. I know I speak for many when I say that we can’t wait to see you again!
The Executive Committee is preparing a full slate of pickleball activities for the 2021-22 winter. We should have sufficient numbers to resume three round-robin sessions per week for each skill level. We are planning to again hold social events. The hugely popular Ladies league and Mixed Doubles nights initiated last year will continue. We would like to set up a dedicated time for people to practice with the ball machine. Clinics for beginners will continue and we are in the process of contacting one or more teaching pros who can provide more advanced instruction. Lastly, we intend to hold tournaments and some special events during the season. All these activities will be in addition to our traditional morning “All Play” time. If you don’t get your fill of pickleball this coming season, you didn’t try.
I am preaching to the choir here, but trust you recognize that our club’s roster is filled with individuals who are some of the most active people in Silveridge. When I say “active” I am not just talking about the time they spend at the pickleball courts. They are also involved in other Silveridge clubs and functions as well outside the park activities. Thus, it is no coincidence that our club is blessed with a large sub-set of “doers”, i.e. people willing to pitch in to make our club the success it is. Whether you are or have been a board member, a social event organizer, a basket raffle coordinator, a round-robin captain, a plastic bottle collector, a ball machine operator, a clinic instructor, or you’ve helped set-up or maintain the courts, thank you one and all. Your efforts are a big part of why I think we have the best club in the park – hands down. On that note, if you are willing to lend a hand this coming season, you can indicate such on the annual membership application you complete prior to the start of the season. We specifically have a need for round-robin captains (preferably two for each skill level) and court hosts. Neither position requires any special knowledge or a large time commitment.
A few other thoughts or news items to pass along:
- The courts were resurfaced this summer. They were in good shape last season. Now they look brand new.
- Fun Pickleball Play Time & Social events are being planned for one Saturday in November, December, January, February and March.
- We desperately need items for the 2021/2022 season’s basket raffles. Our raffles help us buy equipment and pay for special events. Each year, they bring in more money than our annual dues. A jar of jam from MI, maple syrup from Canada or Vermont, cherries from WI or WA, a warm throw, a good book, a bottle of wine from Canada or CA or TN whiskey. Anything unique, consumable, or decorative. You needn’t spend much, just bring something imaginative! Betty Royal has graciously offered to chair the Raffle Committee again this coming season. Please drop your donations off to Betty at unit 374.
- We will continue to sell Franklin X-40 pickleballs: 2 for $5.00. They are quality pickleballs that hold up and are used in most tournaments these days. Please plan on buying your pickleballs from us. You can’t buy them cheaper elsewhere, the club makes a small profit on each sale and, most importantly, you help us meet our primary objective: to promote uniformity. That is a win-win-win.
- Our website just keeps getting better and better. If you haven’t checked it out recently, take a look. New information and news from the Executive Committee will be added so visit the site often for updates.
- Dates to remember: the Club Christmas Potluck Social party will be on December 11, 2021 and the Annual General Meeting and dinner will be on March 5, 2022.
Thanks for reading. Stay healthy and when on the pickleball court, stay between the lines!
2021-22 Club President